Thursday 27 January 2011

guess we need help

to set monfy away lunging properly....

he'll walk left rein but stalls going right, and since he doesn't' seem to understand move away from pressure i can't yet get him going on ropecircling, which would help. on right rein, it's largely, i think, because he has never been led from the right, and it's going to take a very long time to get him used to that

i reckon if i wanted to just hop on, he'd be fine - but of course, i can't do that as i can't get off again yet .. and i DO want to do the ground work with him before he's mounted again...

we only had 10 minutes, there was a lesson going to start (if it was even 1o minutes? probably) but it was enough to see what the problems going to be...

but at least the snow we had this morning went away again!

6 comments:

  1. A helper would be a good idea. I'm sure if he's led in the circle a few times, he'd get the idea.

    Your snow went away...lucky you. Ours just keeps coming and coming and....

    When does the physio start for your hip?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it would be very much worth it to get some help at this point. I am so glad I did. Start soon so when you are really ready to ride, he will be too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Eyes on the ground would be good Claire, I'm sure he'll pick it up very quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had this problem with Jamie my ex race TB. Discovered it was a problem in the middle of a Marji Armstrong dressage clinic (I did it all on the ground). We got shouted at and asked to leave the session :)

    Anyway, I spent the next (fairly tearful) hour with him in the stable just asking him to move away with my fingers, then used fingers with a long rope in my hand and then managed to transfer this to move away from hand gesture with rope swinging.

    Next day in the arena he was absolutely fine. He just didn't understand what I was asking. Course he could have jut wanted to make me look like a prat and get me told off by mad Australian dressage trainer .......

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOL, tracey - i've been shouted at by Marji too - many years ago!

    where's her book, by the way?

    ReplyDelete
  6. She has mellowed a little, but not much. Book never happened I think she fell out with her publishers over the number of pages.

    ReplyDelete