Saturday 14 August 2010

rode on Middleham Moor


which is where the horses in training are exercised in the morning - lovely. Never thought I'd do that

Good as gold. not phased by total stranger coming into stable and checking out feet and legs. not phased by total stranger getting on and riding out. good as gold whilst out - a bit dubious of loose dogs, who can blame him, but no signs of spooking off - couldn't have coped with the 6 year old mare, vendor was riding her and I could see she'd have been too sharp for me, but the 10 year old gelding good as gold.

Walk and trot only - I should have taken my own saddle! this was a GP that was VERY slippy (well used!) and as I realised when I looked at the pics later, miles to small for me - bum falling out the back! and too high a pommel, would have been seriously uncomfortable

no pulling, no jaw setting, no attempts to do anything other than what he was asked. went on ahead in trot when asked, back to walk when asked (from the seat).

needs work, of course - been out of the field 2 months, having been in field doing nowt for quite some time.

best ride i've had since before I retired Queenie - partner sees why i need a new horse!

good feet (hope trimmer agrees, they looked good to me). only one issue, that's not a problem - lost 2 teeth in an argument with a starting block at 2, so occasionally tongue comes out ...but i guess more schooling will help a lot!

I suppose you all want a pic? lucky i took partner with me then...who got left whilst we waltzed off riding!

random goat - it wasn't stuck down a well, it was under a wall...

9 comments:

  1. Oh I like (not the saddle) this one *nods a lot*

    ReplyDelete
  2. i recommended him a smart panel as well..

    ReplyDelete
  3. He looks nice :)

    Is he a return prospect?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sooo will he be joining Molly????

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Claire, I like a lot! *nods with Jean*

    Despite the saddle niggles I'd say you look very at home up there :) Fab jacket by the way.

    And I laughed at the goat, how sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  6. ? "return prospect" ?

    vet's going to have a look...

    jacket from Lands end, had to have (they don't do them anymore :-( )

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks like a nice horse Claire, nice place too. I hope he passes the vet!

    ReplyDelete
  8. He looks very sweet. If you can ride in an ill-fitting saddle on a unknown horse, think how much better it will be when everything is familiar. I hope he passes the vet check.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like him a lot! If he had that good an attitude after not working for two months, he sounds promising. Nice conformation and....he's a bay!!

    Saddle sounds icky, but since you coped so well, that speaks even better of the horse under it.

    Good luck with the vetting. And to ask the vet about the teeth, just to be sure.....

    ReplyDelete