Saturday 20 July 2013

Tolting

is a pace of Icelandic horses.

Today, I rode an Icelandic horse out on a hack ...

a friend lives near Aberystwyth and i went to visit and we went out for a ride...it was high up, just nice - about 19C with a steady breeze, so not too many flies (although a horse fly got me, and we had to occasionally get them off the horses) - up round an old lead works

excellent

the tolt was instead of trot, as the particular horse i was on doesn't trot

VERY smooth, i could get used to that!

and the saddle was very comfortable as well, a St Merryn, which i'd heard good things about and they were all justified (it has memory foam in the seat, and the stirrup bars are in a good place - heather moffett had a hand in its design, i believe....)

anyway, that did a lot of good for my overall confidence, as you can imagine

oh, and we were followed by some fillies loose on the hill, couple of gorgeous palominos and a nice grey...

3 comments:

  1. A tolt - that's new to me. What is the sequence of footfalls? I used to have a saddlebred and he paced, which I didn't like. I have also ridden a Tennessee Walker and she had the running walk gait.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds lovely. I haven't been on a gaited horse in years. My memory fades but as I recall, it was really comfy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds great Claire...no pics??

    ReplyDelete