Saturday 22 September 2012

walking round me

the work in progress, progressing... if i really really got after him with teh lunge line he eventually deided that i meant it and walked round.. to the extent that this worked both directions, not just one...

anyway, a debate ongoing...

is lunging beneficial or should one only longline?

personally, want to be able to do both + in hand work (once M has cracked the notion that that is what he is to do, not just stand there looking at me!) and don't really understand those who think that lunging has no place and that one cannot really have any communication with the horse on the lunge....

1 comment:

  1. Longeing is great. I do a lot of work, just with my horses in a halter. It's more beneficial with side reins and all, but it's good exercise for them without and establishes a good rapport with me.

    They learn to respond to my commands for all three gaits and if I do a lot of transitions, it helps build their muscles even more.

    I also longe them over jumps which is fun for them and more good training.

    I can certainly accomplish more serious training with the long lines, but simple longeing is quick and a lot easier for a bit of exercise.

    ReplyDelete