Friday 19 November 2010

been on a horse!

the planned lunge lesson didn't happen, due to natasha having to stay at her yard to keep an eye on a horse having colic and i went over there instead, just to say we can re-arrange (not allowed to lunge in the arena where she is) - by this time my day was running late as well - horse was doing a lot better, so we decided, let's just get me on - so got red in from the field, got mud off, got him tacked up, tash rode for 5 just to be sure he was still his normal plod

then for me

well - he's 17hh 1" getting ON was interesting, no proper moutning block, my legs wouldnt' go high enough finished up putting a jump block on top of the large masonry block and on from there.

fine when on, no problems - walk only - 20 minutes circles, straight lines, practice whether i can get sideways, ....

then getting off - now that WAS a problem. i didn't have faith in my left wrist, AND the saddle was higher at both front and back than I'm used to - plus the height .... um.....i could not get my right leg high enough and back, leaning forward my belly was well poked by the pommel .... i was losing my nerve for getting off, as well as being wholly stuck.

finished up putting one of those tall yellow plastic jump things that look like steps next to the horse, so i could put my left foot on that and thus get my right up and over - we KNOW that's not the safest way, but it was as it goes much safer (and effective) than any other option that presented itself. and it forms steps to get down - tash footed it of course -- phew.

next time hopefully we can do it at my yard, where there is a proper height mounting (and dismouting!) block, and possibly with my saddle...

but i was fine whilst on him!

Thank you very much natasha & red....

3 comments:

  1. You are going to need a TALL mounting block. I have a three step one here and it's just barely high enough for me to get on Tucker and he's a shade under 17h.

    Oh the bright side, the ride sounds great! So good to hear you managed to get on and have a nice time. Must feel good after all this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Must have felt great to be on a horse again! Who would have thought that the hardest thing was to get on and off. Now that you have been on once you need to ride again and again and again... You have been very patient but now the wait is over.

    ReplyDelete