Sunday 15 July 2012

excellent lesson!

Can't remember the last time I was on Monfils, what with  my op to get plate out and him injuring himself thereafter.....

So i decided the booked leesson today was a good time to get back on, the confidence of having RI there being in need, LOL.

Also, on a new saddle - one of heather moffett's flexEE ones with the leather tree - it was only a 17" so a shade small for me, and needed shimming up, but Monfils didn't object to that, in fact he went very well.  and I found it very comfy despite the size, just wasn't prepared to try trot in it as i would have banged off the pommel and I was sitting right at the back of the cantle, of course....

We just worked on the basics, getting me established again, and reminding me re uses of outside rein /inside rein, good work he did - i hadn't forgotten how to ride the corners, however (it's amazing how many people don't ride corners, and TBF i'd always struggled with it, but RI told me how, and now i usually have them nailed).

and i didn't lose the plot when M was thiking about doing so - some other horse some distance away set him off neighing etc, and i could feel him shaking under me when he was - but i stayed with it and he came back to me, so pleased with that

and we finished with some in hand, as a reminder to me of how to do it...

RI doesn't like lunging as she is of the view that you can't have a conversation with the horse lunging....not sure I wholly agree, and lunging for exercise when you're pressed for time in the winter especially does have its advantages...

Next lesson is going to be long reining... M won't do it for me (just like he won't lunge for me, LOL) so we'll see if we can sort it out...

Reason I was trying saddle is that I've concluded the dressage saddle isn't good for hacking, particularly given the number of hills we have - so the question is, do i just sell the dressage and get a vogue GP, or do I buy the FlexEE GP as an additional saddle?

1 comment:

  1. Oh my. Hard decisions on the saddle. If you like the one you have for schooling and can afford another one for hacking, that'd be my choice.

    Interestingly enough, the Ansur trail models are based on the Excel which is the dressage model. But there is a new one called the "Roo" designed for endurance riders that's based on the Westernaire.

    Either way, as far as I am concerned, treeless is the only way to go, and the Heather Moffett saddles are among the best.

    ReplyDelete