Sunday 23 January 2011

does he understand?

move away from pressure?

not totally sure that he gets it at all....

Took him in the arena this morning to introduce him to the idea of rope circling and other such techniques as taught by Richard Maxwell.

Monfy just stood and looked at me, doh.

He DID get the idea when i was moving his quarters - started crossing his legs nicely, which was the idea - but move away from me onto the circle? no. didn't get it.

I may need to invest in getting Max out to see him, would be worth while....

After that, turned him out and spent the rest of the morning reorganising all my stuff..

1 comment:

  1. Kind of goes to show that reacting to those aids and the concept of rope circling, etc. is not exactly instinctive. Sometimes, I suspect that horses that have had a lot of handling do not necessarily tend to "run" from waving ropes, or sometimes even waving whips.

    Tried to scare my guys away from the gate a while ago so a truck could get through and all my attempts to "spook" them off with waving arms etc. had no effect whatsoever.

    I think you are going to have to establish some basics with Monfy to let him know that going forward from a driving aid on the ground is proper, and then begin teaching --or reteaching--him to move around you in a circle. Right now, his brain is not connecting any of your driving aids with moving.

    I do like his confidence level and quietness, however. But you have to laugh a bit about what must have been going on his his mind as you wiggled that rope at him. "What in the world is that silly woman doing now? She sure does like to get a lot of exercise. It is kind of fun just standing here watching her." *lol*

    ReplyDelete